Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Many Gifts of Trisha Yearwood and Country Cookin'

About six months ago, I came across Trisha Yearwood's show on the Food Network.  I must admit, I was a little nervous and very excited.  I mean, how can someone so talented in such an important genre that is music, with no mention all these years of her cooking prowess, be on the Food Network?  I was excited because I love her.  I've been listening to her music since she debuted when I was in high school.  It's part of my insides, my story, my life.  I was nervous because I didn't want her to let me down.

She's a girl with a voice and a guitar.  That's what I love.

But, can she really cook?  Will she help me find inspiration and a little more of my potential in the kitchen?

It turns out, yes, she can.  And she yes, she has.

A few weeks ago, she said two little words that gave me whiplash: Ribbon Meatloaf.

WHAT is ribbon meatloaf?  Why is it a ribbon?

Then, I thought, "It doesn't matter!  It's meatloaf!  I will make this."

As I watched her make it, my mouth was watering, and everything in me was hungering for this dish.  It seemed so basic, so southern, so charming, I couldn't wait.  And when she pulled it out of the oven, it honestly looked like a fully-bloomed flower!  It was so beautiful.  I was almost sad she didn't invite me to dinner.

I set out on a course of action.  I decided to add some more veggies to it for a little extra color and nutrition, so I bought the frozen veggie soup mix.  I added a little cayenne pepper.  And, I'll admit, I cheated a little.  I bought buttermilk biscuits in a can.  I just didn't want to make them from scratch.  I've learned that shortcuts aren't all bad.  What I learned from this particular experience is that homemade biscuits obviously yield more than a can, because I have a ton of the meatloaf stuffing leftover.  That's okay, I'll buy more biscuits and eat more of this!

I turned Pandora on Trisha Yearwood Radio as I began to prepare.  I thought it was only fitting.

Mine was not as pretty as hers.  It was a little weird-looking flower.  However, it was yummy.  As it baked, the whole house began to smell of bread and meat and comfort.  Home became home, if that makes sense.

Ready to assemble.
I couldn't help but wonder about my musical heroes and their other talents.  I mean, they must all be more than the song on the radio.  We are all more than our best gift.  None of us live in a pigeon-hole.  I am more than a writer.  I am more than my job.  I am more than someone who can cook.

Pre-oven
In a time of instant access to everyone and everything, we think we know celebrities on a personal level, when the truth is, like all of us, we only see what they want us to see or what the media portrays.  The truth is always behind closed doors.  As an open society, we are mostly shut and locked from what's real.  It's all perception.  As the food cooked, I pondered these thoughts.  I wish more people would get out and share their other gifts with us.  I am a better person because of music.  I am a better person because of cooking.  And it is wonderful to feel a bond with others in this way.
My weak little ribbon
meatloaf flower.

Trisha Yearwood is giving us a peak into her life outside of who we think she is.  She is granting us access to her southern heritage and upbringing by cooking her life for me and for you.  And that is brave.

Oh the deliciousness!
As the oven timer went off, American Girl, X's and O's was on Pandora.  I couldn't think of a more fitting conclusion to my stream of consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...